Wipro selected as India’s Role Model Organization for the NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awards 2012
Wipro Ltd. has announced that it has received the ‘National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP)-Shell Helen Keller Awards 2012′, in the category ‘Role Model Organisations’. The award was given away by the Honorable Minister of External Affairs, Sri Salman Khurshid, on December 2, 2012.
Set up in in 1999, the NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller awards have come to be recognised as the most prestigious Indian benchmark for honoring people and organisations, which have been working towards promoting employment opportunities for people with disabilities. Each year a total of 10 awards are given away – 3 each in the individual category and 4 for role model companies on the eve of World Disability Day.
Issac George, Vice President – HR and Head, People with Disabilities (PwD) Initiatives, Wipro Ltd. said, “Wipro is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that can accommodate and ensure a meaningful career for people with disabilities. This award is a recognition of our commitment and our ongoing efforts to implement policies and practices that make a career at Wipro a rewarding and enriching experience for all.”
Wipro has introduced several initiatives to support the careers of people with disabilities within the company. These include:
• Building infrastructure benchmarked against UN guidelines to provide barrier-free access
• Auditing of people policies to build a culture of inclusivity and to communicate relevant information
• Transforming applications, websites and career portals based on the WCAG 2.0 guidelines to provide complete accessibility
• Training trainers and library staff as well as developing curriculum that will help induct and assimilate people with disabilities
• Streamlining administrative processes to include prospective disabled employees
Wipro encourages disabled employees to take on a wide variety of roles across businesses depending on their skill and experience.